[mythtv-users] mythbackend without X

Joseph Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 18 14:51:43 UTC 2004

nate s wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:43:26 -0600, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
>
>>Michael Messner wrote:
>>

>>>Hey mythTV users,
>>>
>>>I like to make my fileserver also to the backend server for mythTV,
>>>the fileserver is running with trustix (www.trustix.org) without a
>>>XServer and also without any QT stuff!
>>>Is it possible to install just the mythbackend on this server, no
>>>use for any frontend stuff there!
>>>

>>You need QT because there is more to QT than graphics.  The MythTV
>>classes are based on it.  As far as X goes, you might need that because
>>the MythTV setup program needs it, more accurately, you can probably
>>target it at a remote X server but you might need libraries on the
>>backend to execute the program on.
>>
>>Kevin
>>
> In that case, can you run qt without X?

I believe so, yes.  You don't need an X server running to run
mythbackend; however, you do need the X client runtime libraries, as Qt
is linked against them.

If you want to eliminate the need to have the X libraries on your
system, you'll need to try building Qt/Embedded.  Or, you could wait for
Qt 4.0 to be released, which will split out the GUI portions of Qt into
their own library.

-JAC