[mythtv-users] Hard Crash while watching TV/Playback-Only when I push on the keyboard.

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 20 18:31:40 UTC 2004

On Monday 20 December 2004 12:58, Bruce M wrote:
> Ok, Well I think I found the problem. I compiled 0.15
> and everything works perfectly.  So what changed in
> 0.16 that would cause me problems?  Any developers
> have any ideas?

Hmmm, which Nvidia drivers are you using?  IIRC, 0.16 introduced a new
video sync method for playback, based on OpenGL, for > 6611 drivers.
With the old 4363 driver it used the /dev/nvidia method, which no
longer works with later drivers.  I'm not saying this code is buggy,
but it may be exposing some other problem in your system.  In the
Nvidia/Linux forum, lots of folks have reported problems (lock-ups, "X
using 90% of CPU", etc) with the Nvidia linux drivers, especially when
OpenGL is used.

Also, have you tried testing video playback with other programs?  Try
the following:

mplayer -vo xv <file>
mplayer -vo gl <file>
mplayer -vo gl2 <file>

Do any of those cause problems?  If so, suspect your video card or
driver.  You might also want to physically inspect your card.  I have a
LeadTek GF4 MX 420, and recently my display starting locking up with I
start X.  After much Googling, I took a look at the card itself and
discovered that the chip fan had stopped working & that the capacitors
were bulging.  I'm in the process of getting the card RMA'd.

-JAC