[mythtv-users] Video Cards

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 04:43:13 UTC 2004

> I am building my new HTPC with MythTV, and want to know what impact
> video cards have on the system.  This system will not have a monitor
> permantanly attached, it will be viewed on teh TV only (I will have the
> monitor for setup only).  Because of this, does the WinTV-250 or other
> part of the MythTV system use the video card for processing?
>
> Will any card do, or do I need a good video card?

Do you mean video card or TV Capture card? Both are important.
Everyone seems to like the Hauppauge cards as they have hardware
decoders so don't use the system CPU for encoding tv capture. That's
important if you don't have a fast CPU. I don't think the 250s have a
TV-Out so you'd also need a video card with TV-Out. Cards with nVidia
chips are generally good and lots of people use them so there's good
support here for them.