[mythtv-users] Adding a second IR controlled Dish Receiver

Pete Stagman tyrstag at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 21 13:36:21 UTC 2004

Hi Everyone,

How would I add a second Dishnetwork receiver?

I currently have a mythtv 0.16, FC1, pvr-250, homebrew IR blaster. A friend
of mine is giving me his old dish receiver and I'd like to add it to my system.
I have the current receiver setup with 2 instances of lirc, one controlling
Myth and the other controlling the receiver. I'm assuming I need another
instance of lirc to control the second receiver. I plan on buying another
pvr-250, building another IR blaster and adding the second receiver to my
account.

1.) How do I set that up?
2.) How does mythtv know which instance to use for which receiver?
3.) Is this even possible or is it more work than it's worth? I'd REALLY
like the ability to watch/record 2 things at the same time.

On another note, is it possible to also add the ability to record "off-air"
programs that aren't the same as what's in the program guide? There are a
lot of local channels that I can get off-air around here that dish doesn't
carry.  I know I can add another tuner/guide to the PVR, but do the
channels have to be the same or is mythTV smart enough to know which tuner
carries which channels?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
--Pete