[mythtv-users] Adding a second IR controlled Dish Receiver

Joel Anderson bitjunkie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 16:14:41 UTC 2004

> Hi Everyone,
>
> How would I add a second Dishnetwork receiver?
>
> I currently have a mythtv 0.16, FC1, pvr-250, homebrew IR blaster. A friend
> of mine is giving me his old dish receiver and I'd like to add it to my system.
> I have the current receiver setup with 2 instances of lirc, one controlling
> Myth and the other controlling the receiver. I'm assuming I need another
> instance of lirc to control the second receiver. I plan on buying another
> pvr-250, building another IR blaster and adding the second receiver to my
> account.
>
> 1.) How do I set that up?
> 2.) How does mythtv know which instance to use for which receiver?
> 3.) Is this even possible or is it more work than it's worth? I'd REALLY
> like the ability to watch/record 2 things at the same time.
>
> On another note, is it possible to also add the ability to record "off-air"
> programs that aren't the same as what's in the program guide? There are a
> lot of local channels that I can get off-air around here that dish doesn't
> carry.  I know I can add another tuner/guide to the PVR, but do the
> channels have to be the same or is mythTV smart enough to know which tuner
> carries which channels?
>
> Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> --Pete

There is a big howto for setting up another instance as you mention,
sorry I don't have the link handy but it has been posted many times if
you check the archives.

IIRC, you can change the remote codes for the dish receivers, so you
can use one blaster to control more than one.  The basics seemed to be
programming the second remote and receiver for the alternate codes,
learning them for your lirc config, mod or add a new channel change
script that uses the new remote.

I haven't tried it myself, but I will help my friend with a simliar
setup in the new year that will include 2-3 StarChoice receivers which
apparently can be done similarly.

Sorry I don't know where I read all this, it was a while ago.  Someone
please correct me if my memory is mistaken.  :)

--
Joel