[mythtv-users] MythTV and streaming MPEG2 over UDP

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Tue Dec 21 20:44:11 UTC 2004

> I think that all the proprietary feature of MythTV will make the
> project sink.  It needs to add support for industry standard like
> Transport Stream over ethernet, etc...  MythTV could be a great
> backend for that.

If this is truly a standard, then I think it would be great for
mythbackend to support it.  That doesn't mean that mythfrontend needs
to go away, only that it should change to support the standard
backend->frontend interface to reduce its complexity.  I have my HDTV
hooked up to my computer and am very satisfied with my
football-viewing performance.

My only real remaining problem (as opposed to geek-level irritations,
like mythfrontend using 50% of my HT P4 3.2 playing HDTV) is the
expense of getting DirecTV HD into my Mythbox, 169time.com seemingly
the only ($$$$) way of doing it.

Cheers,
Kyle