[mythtv-users] nvtv users - non-root cmd line use?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 05:05:55 UTC 2004

> If you use 'nvtv' to overscan your nvidia card AND you run mythtv as a
> non-root user, are you able to call nvtv from the commandline and have
> it do it's work?
>
> I've googled for answers and searched the mailing list/forums at the
> nvtv site but haven't come up with anything yet to explain the following
> behavior:
>
> I'm running Fedora Core 2 with Mythtv (thanks Jarod), using a GeForce
> 2MX AGP card w/ S-Video out to my TV.  Mythfrontend runs as the 'mythtv'
> user which is auto-logged in.  Finally, I have the 'nvtvd' daemon
> running so non-root users can run 'nvtv' to control overscan, etc.  When
> a non-root user runs 'nvtv' at a shell prompt with the command-line
> options, like this:
>
>        /home/mythtv/nvtv-0.4.7-bin/nvtv -S NTSC -s LARGE -r 800,600 \
>         --set Brightness#:-25
>
> then instead of just setting the options I want and being done with it,
> the nvtv GUI launches and sets all of the options I specified -- but
> doesn't actually 'apply' them.
>
> So every time I boot my myth box (granted, not very often!) there's a
> minor annoyance that I have to manually click 'Apply' and quit nvtv.
> Are you seeing this too and just ignoring it, or have you found a good
> workaround?

Am I right in thinking that overscan is when the window doesnt fill
the physical screen? I have the opposite problem where I run X at a
default of 800x600 and the windows are too big for the screen so I
have to go back to 1024x768. I found a line in my xorg.0.log file
which says "Virtual screen size determined to be 1024 x 768" which I
think may be the problem, but I don't know how to fix it. Any ideas
anyone?

Regards,
Phill