[mythtv-users] RAID on Fedora Core 3?

Paul Barker pbarker at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 24 15:41:42 UTC 2004

Hi

AFAIK its a bad idea to put slave IDE devices into a software RAID set.
Firstly it will upset performance and secondly there's a good chance
that if you lost one of the disks on that channel then it would take out
the other also. (ie loose the Primary master and the Primary slave goes
too. So even if the Primary slave wasn't physically bad you'd still end
up doing recovery on both arrays)

I have 2 X 2 channel PATA cards and tried putting slave devices on and I
had problems even getting the OS to see the drives properly to create
the RAID set. Got timeouts etc trying to bring a RAID5 set online. I now
have 4 disks on these 2 controllers in RAID5 all on the masters and a
RAID1 set for my OS on the motherboard IDE masters.

I guess there's no harm in trying, YMMV but I think even the RAID howto
it advises against it.

Cheers

Paul

Paul Barker