[mythtv-users] Re: what cards and tools

Wayne Steenburg w.steenburg at myactv.net
Sat Dec 25 04:33:27 UTC 2004

> Hi Wayne,
>
> I'm trying to recall back what I have gathered before. Going back, if I will
> be buying the PVR-350 for recording regular broadcast, will it allow me to
> display the recorded show on my television using one of the tv-out ports? Is
> it also possible to watch live off-the-air broadcast via the mythtv to my
> television even without recording it first?
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil

Hi Neil,

Yes the PVR-350 will allow you to view recorded shows via it's tv-out
port.  If it's mpeg-2 encoded content it will also decode it on the card
lightening your cpu load.  Otherwise X will just utilize the framebuffer
and the cpu will perform the processing.

You can watch live tv with myth, but there's a couple of seconds delay
when starting or changing channels.  Live tv allows you to pause,
rewind, fast forward, etc. and as such requires a buffer.  That is to
say it records it to disk while it's playing the content.

Wayne Steenburg