[mythtv-users] possible frontend hardware?

mikemurphy mike at halfmytime.com
Mon Dec 27 20:12:20 UTC 2004

If you are going to get an Xbox, definitely get used/refurbished one.
You'll pay less and you'll have a much better chance of getting an older
unit.  If you have an older Xbox (manufactured before May 2004 or so),
there are loopholes that allow you to install linux with no mod chip.
Newer boxes have those holes patched, so you'll have to kick in the
extra 50 US$ to get a mod chip, and you' have to do more soldering.

Check the serial number through the window in the cardboard before you
pull out the credit card:
http://www.xbox-linux.org/Version_1.6_Warning
http://www.xbox-linux.org/Xbox_Versions_HOWTO

Now that I'm doing more research, the shiny new myth frontend that I got
for Christmas isn't looking so hot.  Dad I know you read this list
too... did you keep the reciept?  haha

-Mike