[mythtv-users] Recommendations

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 14:24:36 UTC 2004

I first tried setting it up with Mandrake 10, but ran into some
problems. I can't remember what exactly the problems were, but I
wasn't sure at the time if it had to do with my hardware or with the
configuration.

I put on Knoppmyth to for testing, and when it was so easy to get the
whole system working, I just kept it. Since the box is only running
Myth, there's no need for any of the extras that come with Mandrake or
FC, or other distros.

Everything you need is included, and the whole thing can be set up
with only minor tweaking.

If you do end up with an nvidia card, you'll probably need to get an
updated driver. I know when I installed Knoppmyth R4V4, there were
issues with the included nv driver. Still it was easy to find and
install. This may have been addressed in the latest release, but I
don't know. I haven't upgraded to R4V5 yet.

The other thing you'll need with an nvidia card is xvatttr to get rid
of a blue border at the top and left of the picture. You can find it
at sourceforge or by googling.

Good luck.