[mythtv-users] menu speed

Paul Miller paul at pinheiro.dyndns.org
Tue Dec 28 17:29:36 UTC 2004

I just started evaluating MythTV on my old P2-450MHz system, which
currently has no video hardware.  Eventually, I hope to use my
P3-800MHz with a PVR-500 card.  Anyhow, I noticed right away that
the menus are awfully slow.  It takes a couple of seconds to move
between different menus or even moving through the program guide.
Can this be improved?  I'm using Debian/sid with the Debian MythTV
packages, and testing with the local keyboard.  My original TiVo
runs on a far less powerful system and has similar, if not better,
performance.

I would really like to see very snappy and responsive menus.  One of
my biggest complaints about digital cable/satelite and TiVo is that
the moving through the menus is too slow.  I hate having to wait
for the system to respond after I've pressed a key.

-Paul