[mythtv-users] Unable to change channel

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Wed Dec 29 06:37:21 UTC 2004

John Van Ostrand <john at netdirect.ca> writes:

> I have Myth working for me except that every time I reboot I have to run
> mythfilldatabase and restart mythbackend or I can't change channels
> within Myth. This seems to happen each time I reboot, even if the last
> reboot was the same day. Restarting Mythbackend doesn't reproduce
> this.

I have had a problem in the very recent past (last week or two) in
which my freqid column in the channel table for the local DirecTV
channels (yeah, weird) has been getting set to NULL, so my channel
changing script has no argument passed to it.  I'm not sure what's
doing it: it could be mythfilldatabase, but I'm not so sure, as
channel changing was working at 10 and 11 am, but stopped working
sometime this evening, and mythfilldatabase runs sometime around 6 am.

Try mythbackend --verbose channel and see what is getting passed to
your external tuner script (or potentially what is being tuned
internally, if you use internal tuning; I suspect similar information
is available).

FWIW, this is also associated with my satellite receiver randomly
changing channels every so often.  I don't think the receiver is doing
it on its own, but I'll have to instrument the channel changing script
to really know.

Cheers,
Kyle