[mythtv-users] Crash on network transfer?

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Wed Dec 29 14:37:20 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 06:22 -0800, Chris Lynch wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Hopefully someone can give me some ideas, as this is driving me crazy.
> I'm running FC3 and installed per Jarod's instructions and I've got
> this nagging problem.  Whenever I transfer files on my local network
> to/from the box, it crashes dead in its tracks.  I can SSH/browse/wget
> on the box without issue - it seems to only happen when I transfer a
> file that takes a lot of bandwidth (things that do less than a few
> megs per second don't seem to cause the issue to happen).  At first, I
> thought, it must be the network card so tonight I put in a DLink
> Gigabit card (DGE-530T) and got the same results.  So any time I try
> to use another frontend/machine to watch movies on that box I get a
> hard crash...

How did it crash. Do the keyboard lights flash?

Change /etc/sysctl.conf, set kernel.sysreq to with this line:

	kernel.sysreq = 1

this will set sysreq on during reboots. Do this to turn it on now
without a reboto:

	echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysreq

Next time it happens try pressing one of these keys to see what is
happening. (I use p and t often)

'r' - Turns off keyboard raw mode and sets it to XLATE.

'k' - Secure Access Key (SAK) Kills all programs on the current virtual
          console. NOTE: See important comments below in SAK section.

'b' - Will immediately reboot the system without syncing or unmounting
          your disks.

'o' - Will shut your system off (if configured and supported).

's' - Will attempt to sync all mounted filesystems.

'u' - Will attempt to remount all mounted filesystems read-only.

'p' - Will dump the current registers and flags to your console.

't' - Will dump a list of current tasks and their information to your
          console.

'm' - Will dump current memory info to your console.

'0'-'9' - Sets the console log level, controlling which kernel messages
          will be printed to your console. ('0', for example would make
          it so that only emergency messages like PANICs or OOPSes
would
          make it to your console.)

'e' - Send a SIGTERM to all processes, except for init.

'i' - Send a SIGKILL to all processes, except for init.

'l' - Send a SIGKILL to all processes, INCLUDING init. (Your system
          will be non-functional after this.)

'h' - Will display help ( actually any other key than those listed
          above will display help. but 'h' is easy to remember :-)

> My interrupts look like this (nothing looks too wrong to me):
>   0:     429970          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:         10          XT-PIC  i8042
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   5:          0          XT-PIC  ivtv: iTVC15/16 mpg2 encoder chip
>   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>   9:       3425          XT-PIC  SysKonnect SK-98xx
>  10:      13312          XT-PIC  ide2
>  11:      24724          XT-PIC  EMU10K1, nvidia
>  12:         92          XT-PIC  i8042
>  14:       2162          XT-PIC  ide0
>

> Does anyone have any ideas as to where I could look?  I looked in the
> logs and did see something that happened that looked a little strange,
> but I'm far too much of a newbie on the Linux side to know what it's
> pointing towards.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Chris
John Van Ostrand <john at netdirect.ca>