[mythtv-users] Components for my MythBox! :)

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 14:15:31 UTC 2004

Hi all,

i'm about to order up my components for my MythBox and found two
drives that i'm interested in.  Newegg.com has a 300MB Seagate for
$195.00 and a 300MB Maxtor for $199.00.  the Seagate is a 7200RPM
drive while the Maxtor is a 5400RPM drive.  typically i would go for
the 7200RPM for data transfer, but i've read several posts that the
5400 drives are more than adequate for a MythBox and they usually run
cooler and quieter.  however, the Seagate has a 5 year warrenty while
the Maxtor only has a 3 year warrenty; and i've never been impressed
with Maxtor drives.  the only drive i've had fail on me was a Maxtor.
first impressions... ;)

so i know this is a somewhat religious/flamewar subject, but i'm
curious as to what others would pick up if they were building a new
box and they were choosing between these two drives.

thanks,
andy

ps: if you know where i can get either of these drives cheaper i
wouldn't mind hearing that either. ;)