[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv

tarek Lubani tarek at tarek.2y.net
Sun Feb 1 15:23:48 EST 2004

Hey George!

I'm cc'ing this to the mythtv-users list in case others have the same
questions...

> /    1. I was able to get the program listings for Directv using
> mythfilldatabase.  How does your
> _http://tarek.2y.net/myth/ppv.pl_ differ from what I have done (by the
> way, I installed Fedora Core 1 using Jarod's guide on the PVR hardware
> database web-site)?
> /

I haven't done this in a little while, but unless things have changed,
the listings you get from mythfilldatabase do not give you the
PayPerView listings (100s), so this is what the ppv.pl script does.

> /     2. My DirecTV receiver is a Samsung model with no input
> connections.  Does this mean that I will have to A, buy a different
> receiver if I want to connect from serial port to receiver or B.
> Build a transceiver for myth to control my DirecTV receiver or C. some
> other option that I don't know about?
> /

I'm not sure about the specific models, but I'm sure you could find more
information if you search the web for it.. HOWEVER, if it looks like
there's nothing that you can plug into (phone jack-like data port,
serial port), then you are probably out of luck on the serial port
dealie.. In that case, your three options are: 1. Get one with serial
port (highly recommended.. they are cheap!) 2. Use an IR blaster of some
variety (search the lists for more info) or 3. sit there and manually
change channels when necessary (not fun, but a stop gap we've all used).

> /    3.  I have gotten MythTV to run (I can watch tv), but I cannot
> record TV.  Everytime I try to schedule a recording, myth changes the
> tuner (PVR-20) to XX channel and ends up recording snow/static.  Once
> that happens, I end up re-running mythtvsetup, redoing /sbin/modprobe
> in root, log-out, log-in as mythtv user, and re-starting
> mythfrontend.  How do I set up mythtv in the meantime so that it does
> not change the PVR-tuner (keeps it on channel 3) so that I can watch
> TV or record TV.  I would like myth to think that it changed the
> channel to channel 12, 231, 292, 360 etc without actually doing so.
> /

It is more than likely that you don't have the tuner input correctly
configured. Look back at how to make it access a script instead of
trying to change the tuner itself.. Also, if you have composite outputs,
why not use those? Probably better and easier that way.

tarek : )