[mythtv-users] Starting off with Debian - which version?

Patrick Reynolds reynolds at cs.duke.edu
Sun Feb 1 20:50:19 EST 2004

> I want to set up the latest release of Myth on Debian.  I've been
> reading about some problems with the Stable version of Debian (i.e.
> MythMusic not working with the stable FLAC version), which require
> upgrading various packages and/or compiling various things.

I'm using Debian unstable and Linux 2.6.0 quite happily with the MythTV
0.14 .deb packages.  I picked unstable because it's easier to keep up with
the current versions of libraries than with stable, which pretty much
locks you in at whatever was current at the last release (which was a
pretty long time ago now).  I picked 2.6.0 because it had ACPI and ALSA
already built in.

> If I should upgrade the whole system, to which version - Testing or Unstable?

I like unstable.  Testing is just an unstable snapshot from a couple weeks
ago, which saves you from any bleeding edge upgrade bugs, but doesn't
really get you any better stability.  (And obviously, it puts you a couple
weeks behind on any library upgrade you might need.)  If you find an
unstable snapshot you like, you don't have to track the daily upgrades --
most of my system hasn't been upgraded in the 2 months since I installed
it.

--Patrick