[mythtv-users] Problem still exists afterall....

Malcolm mythtv at lds.dyndns.org
Tue Feb 3 13:47:31 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Wood" <mike at woodsnest.com>
To: <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 8:22 AM
Subject: [mythtv-users] Problem still exists afterall....

> Well, I'm back...my issue which I thought was resolved, wasn't.
> I have a seperate backend/frontend setup and the frontend is a EPIA M10000
Nemehiah.  My backend machine is running a PVR250.  I'm NOT currently using
the EPIA's hardware decoding.

> On Sunday I updated to current CVS. Immediately after updating, live TV
seemed perfectly normal. According to TOP, mythfrontend was using about
55%-60% of the cpu and playback was skip free, perfect. But then I changed a
channel and immediately the skipping starts. Looking at TOP again,
mythfrontend was now using 99%+ of the cpu, and the frontend log was spewing
Prebuffering Pauses every couple of seconds.  I'd never had the problem
before.

> I was using IVTV from about a month ago on the backend machine.  So I
decided to upgrade the driver to the 0.1.9 version.  With this driver, I get
the same effect, except it doesn't start until after I've been watching TV
for about 30 minutes, then I change channel, and I get the same issue.  So
last night I decided to downgrade my IVTV driver to a CVS-LATEST file I had
from 1/3/04.  No change.  After about 30 minutes, a channel change wreaks
havoc and I have to stop Live TV and start it again to fix it.

> So now I've tried 2 different IVTV drivers with exactly the same affect.
I'm not sure if this is an IVTV issue, or a MythTV issue...but its starting
to feel more like a Myth issue.  Is anyone else seeing this?  I've spoken to
Jelle and I know he has similar issues...anyone else?  I've been watching
LiveTV for months without issue and now all of a sudden this has crept
in...I'd love to kick it back out.  :-)

I have a very similar issue which I posted yesterday.  I didn't try changing
channels after about 30 mintues but instead just left it running on one
channel.  About 5 to 6 hours later live tv is skipping and the frontend
console window is echoing error messages about waited 2 seconds for data.
Unlike you though it's mythbackend on my box that has the CPU pegged at that
point, not the frontend.  Simply exiting out of live tv to the myth menu and
going back in fixes it for the next few hours.
I have both mythfront and backend on the same box, pvr-250 and pvr-350 using
tv out.

Thanks
Malcolm