[mythtv-users] Problem getting ALSA to work.

Mike Kreitz kreitz_list at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 13:20:13 EST 2004

I am using the redhat 9 installation guide and am
having problems loading the sound drivers.  I get an
error stating that my processor is over utilization
and the sound does not load.  I am not sure of the
exact syntax but could someone take a look at the text
in my modules.conf and .asoundrc file.  I used the
guide listed to see how to configure each file. and
something is not working right.

*****Modules.conf*****

path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates
# default path
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
alias eth0 3c59x
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1370
# module options should go here

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-os
# Save & restore settings
post-install snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
>/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl store
>/dev/null 2>&1 || :

*****.asoundrc file*****

        pcm.ens1370 {
           type hw
           card 0
        }

        ctl.ens1370 {
           type hw
           card 0
        }

Here is the text that I am getting when trying to play
a file as per the instructions.  It looks like
everything is ok but i get no sound.

Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav' :
Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono

Thanks in advance,

Mike