[mythtv-users] Choppy video after 0.14 RPM upgrade

Michael Starks mythtv at michaelstarks.com
Wed Feb 4 21:04:38 EST 2004

Eric Westfall wrote:

> I had almost the same thing but didn't get a message about the system being
> too slow.  I ended up removing all of ivtv from my machine and then
> reinstalling it (using Axel's RPMS).  I had compiled ivtv from cvs when I
> first set up mythtv and had then installed the rpms later.  I think I had
> more than one of the ivtv binaries lying around :)  Not sure if your issue
> is related or not, it just sounded familiar.
>
> Later,
> Eric

Didn't show up the first time..

Eric,

Thanks for the response.  I think you may be on to something, since at
one point I did try compiling and installing ivtv from source.

As I understand it, compiled programs are generally in /usr/local/bin or
/usr/local/sbin, while RPMs are deposited in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin. I've
got a bunch of ivtv stuff in /usr/local/bin which would seem to indicate
that the compiled ivtv binaries are in use, yet when I run an apt-get
install ivtv it tells me I'm already at the latest version.  I would
think that apt-get would only know about stuff it has "gotten". How did
you get the compiled version off your system cleanly and reinstall from
RPM using apt-get?  Thanks again.