[mythtv-users] Willing to pay for better listings?? - US

Brian_Meehan at Nexpress.com Brian_Meehan at Nexpress.com
Thu Feb 5 09:04:18 EST 2004

> My view of ziap2it charging is pretty straightforward: I already
> pay money to them indirectly.  My cable provider uses zap2it
> for their guide channel, so I assume that a portion of my
> monthly bill goes to them in order to pay for the service.
> Really, the cable provider is the source of this data ultimately
> since they decide which stations are on which channels.  The
> data the zap2it provides is reprocessed data from the stations
> combined with channel lineups from the various cable
> providers (and satellite, etc.).

It's been a long time since I worked for TVData (which owned ClickTV, the
forerunner of Zap2It before TMS bought out TVData), but if I remember
correctly, TVData receieved the incoming program information from the
networks. They formatted it for things like newspaper grids, websites and
cable boxes. Scientific Atlanta was one of our biggest customers. They
bought the information to stream to their cable boxes. Then the local cable
franchises bought the listing service from Scientific Atlanta.

So yes, in a way when you pay for your cable service and STB rental fee,
you're already paying for Zap2It/Tribune Media Services/Scientific
Atlanta/Time Warner Cable. Then again, it's been nearly 7 years and a
buyout since I worked there, so things could be different now.
 IMPORTANT NOTICE:
The information in this email is confidential and proprietary to NexPress
Solutions LLC and may be legally privileged.  It is for the intended
recipient(s) named above only.  Any unauthorized review, printing, copying,

use or distribution of this email by anyone else is prohibited and may be a

criminal offense.  If you have received this email in error, please notify
the
sender immediately by reply email and delete the original message.