[mythtv-users] Using an ATI Radeon 9200 2nd screen?

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 5 10:04:34 EST 2004

Hello,

I've an ATI Radeon 9200SE card with both VGA and TV outputs.

How can I configure it so that mythtv runs /only/ on the TV output while leaving
the VGA output available as the console display?

That is, I want to run the mythtv from the TV only and not have it interfere
with anything expecting to use the console VGA display.  I'm prepared to control
it via an IR remote and/or a second set of USB connected keyboard and mouse.
Basically I'm planning on having the box automatically boot up this 2nd display
straight into mythtv on the TV output as a special 'mythtv' user.  While leaving
the VGA output and local PS/2 mouse and keyboard as a regular X desktop session.

It's not entirely clear if this can be done using XFree86.  Technically I
suppose I'm looking to have an entirely separate set of users with one on the
VGA output and the other on the TV output of the same card.  There appear to be
ways to do this using two different display cards.  But can this be done using
the one display card?  Having multiuser access is not a crucial issue but it
would be convenient.

And to make matters even more interesting I'd also like to be able to VNC to
this TV out session.   But this can wait.

What magic combination of X configuration incantations are necessary?

Thanks,
-Bill Kearney