[mythtv-users] Consequences of splitting cable input for multiple tuners

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 5 11:50:21 EST 2004

Quoting "Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw at wilsonet.com>:

> On Feb 4, 2004, at 18:51, Andrew Dodd wrote:
>
> > Quoting Keith Hanlan <mythtv at hanlan.ca>:
> >
> >> I'm curious to know how many times I can split a cable signal
> >> before the degradation becomes noticable. I have added a second
> >> tuner card which means that my signal is being split twice - a 3dB
> >> loss each time I presume. At what point should I consider getting
> >> an amplified splitter since they are quite expensive.
> >
> > It depends on the cable system unfortunately.
>
> Copy that.
>
> > In my case it took experimentation (and a few returned RF amps) to
> > figure out
> > the exact limit on noise figure for my antenna system.  (i.e. I am
> > definately
> > limited by SNR at the antenna at this point, the only way I can get
> > better
> > signal is to put the antenna in a better position.)
>
> I have had excellent results with the ~$45 amplified 4-way splitter
> from RadioShack (I sound like a freakin' RS ad tonight, don't I?), so
> it isn't *that* expensive if you have to go amped.
My opinion on preamps, etc. is that if it doesn't have noise figure specs in
addition to gain specs, I don't touch it.

i.e. I would advise AGAINST buying any signal amps from RS.  My suggestion would
be to buy one made by a reputable manufacturer that actually gives out specs
like Winegard or Channel Master.  (I use a CM preamp on my antenna, it blows
away anything RS sells hands-down.)

Winegard and CM stuff can be hard to find.  Lowes' (similar to Home Depot)
carries CM products, although stock varies from store to store.  For example my
local lowes' doesn't have any of their antennas, and according to their website
seems to have stopped carrying preamps within the past year.

CM's website (www.channelmaster.com) has links to a number of mailorder
distributors for their products such as Warren Electronics that people on
avsforum speak highly of.