[mythtv-users] Changing filesystems?

Steve Bower sbower at cisco.com
Thu Feb 5 13:00:16 EST 2004

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff  <mythtv at maniclogic.org> writes:

Jeff> Got a question hopefully someone can answer.  Since upgrading to
Jeff> 14, it seems that whenever I delete a recording it takes *FOREVER*
Jeff> to delete it and come back to the UI.  This seems to be especially
Jeff> bad when the backend is recording and commflag'ing at the same
Jeff> time as the delete.

Jeff> I've got reiserfs on my LVM where I store my recordings and I'm
Jeff> assuming that all that time to delete is because of the huge
Jeff> number of inodes used for big files.

Misconception alert: one file uses exactly one inode, no matter how big
it is.

The delay likely comes from tracking the free data blocks in the
filesystem -- the more blocks are freed, the more updates to the free
list/bitmap are required.

Jeff> Other particulars: there are two drives, 60G and 120G of which the
Jeff> LVM has space on both; both are on one IDE channel (probably a bad
Jeff> thing); and the journaling (or something) seems to be just eating
Jeff> up available space.

Jeff> The question is: how can I change the reiserfs to a ext3 fs to
Jeff> take advantage of the largefile inode support or will this make
Jeff> any difference at all.

I've found ext3 to be very slow at deleting large files; note that the
"largefile" options only change the number of inodes in the filesystem,
which is useful for space savings but has nothing to do with file
deletion speed.

I've been using jfs on my recordings directory (it came with RH9), and
it's been MUCH faster at deleting files.  AAMOF, deleting my 45G HDTV
superbowl recording took about 5 seconds; deleting a test 10G file on an
ext3 filesystem took 17 seconds.

  Steve.