[mythtv-users] Serial link - how ?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Feb 5 19:25:11 EST 2004

On Thursday 05 February 2004 02:22, Jon Waite wrote:
> OK, I'm stuck. hoping someone here can help out a bit.
>
> I'm in New Zealand and have a Myth box setup and running fine with a
> PVR350, intending to add a 250 to it at a later stage, but happy with just
> the 1 tuner card for now.
>
> I have 2 Sky digital decoders in the house, one is a Pace DSR620-GM the
> other is a Motorola DTH320-4, both have RS-232 serial ports on the back,
> but I can't find *any* details on either of these boxes online despite
> extensive googling etc.
>
> My original plan was to try getting serial working so I could change
> channels via the serial port - How ??? I can't find any information on the
> decoder boxes, let alone how to change channels via the serial ports.

No clue here, but have you looked in the contrib directory of the mythtv
source tarball? There are some goodies in there that may be relevant, but I'm
not certain if there's anything specific to your hardware.

> The fallback plan was to build an IR transmitter and change channels via
> Infrared. But, I've build a generic serial IR receiver, and tried using the
> Hauppage IR receiver from the 350, and while both work fine using the
> Hauppauge remote, neither work using either of the Sky box remotes (never
> receive anything).

Hauppauge uses the somewhat obscure RC-5 IR protocol, shared only by a few
others (Philips/Maganavox, Marantz). I don't quite follow what you're trying
to do with the serial IR receiver... It sounds like you need a serial cable
from your computer to your sat boxes to control them...

> I had a look through the configuration files on lirc.org
> and couldn't find either model on there either, or anything that really
> looked equivalent - so I've got no idea what codes to send out on IR and no
> (apparent) way of capturing these either.

man irrecord

Now I think I understand what you're doing with the serial IR thingy. You're
trying to build your own IRBlaster, correct?

> I'd hate to have got this far only to find out that I have to manually
> switch channels every time I want Myth to record something.

There's a way! I just haven't a clue what it is. ;-)

> Someone else must have one of these boxes and figured out how to get the
> channels changing ???

Not me! (I'm in the US). But definitely look in the contrib directory if you
haven't already.

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...