[mythtv-users] Changing filesystems?

William Powers wepprop at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 7 19:21:55 EST 2004

Ok, now I'm replying to myself...

The mkfs.ext3 problem was caused by some peculiarity in the partition
table.  Deleting and recreating the partition fixed it.  It did not,
unfortunately, fix my XFS 4G problem...

With the mkfs.ext3 problem fixed, I was able to confirm that it does
take longer to delete a file on an ext3 filesystem when that filesystem
was formatted -T largefile4.  Two instances of deleting a 10G file on a
filesystem formatted 'mkfs.ext3 -m 0' resulted in times of 1.4 and 2.3
seconds.  Two attempts at deleting a 10G file on a filesystem formatted
  'mkfs.ext3 -T largefile4 -m 0' took 5.9 and 10.2 seconds.

 From this I would personally conclude that, if you want to use ext3 for
your video partition, the extra storage space I get by formatting '-T
largefile4' (about 2G more available space on a 100G partition) is not
worth the substantial decrease in file deletion performance.

Now, if I could just figure out my XFS problem...

Bill