[mythtv-users] Guess its time to go buy a TIVO to hear soem Audio.

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Sun Feb 8 14:59:19 EST 2004

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Bruce wrote:

> Wow. A Reply. Amazing Grace!!! It is not whining, It is called making a
> headline to get reply's. I got more replies than I did asking normal audio
> questions.  3 smart-Axx replies are better than 0 replies.

So 3 smart ass replies that don't answer your question anyway, plus
pissing off a large group of people who might be able to help you with
other problems is better than no replies?

> I asked the question about 2 audio cards and was told that it is not a
> problem, but when a user has problems based on other users suggestion,
> no-one seems to be around.

Using 2 audio cards does work - I have had it working on several machines.
It is usually just a case of loading both sets of modules in the right
order.  Infact, my server has a sound card that's not supported in ALSA,
so one of my cards is running OSS and the other is running ALSA which is
even more tricky.

If you're trying to use Myth's native ALSA support, don't.  Most people
don't use it and it seems a lot who try it fail to get it working.  Stick
to OSS (the OSS emulation layer in ALSA works wonderfully).

> What myth needs is a FORUM period. This email thing is ok for a small number
> of questions, but not for the amount of email generated from this.

Use a sane mail client, like PINE, that supports threading.  I for one
don't want to have to fire up a web browser to read the Myth lists.

> And where do you see a threat to the board? Are you losing money or getting
> hurt if I go buy a Tivo? Get Real.

Everyone here has had at least one problem when setting up Myth - that's
the nature of "do it yourself" systems.  Most people on this list would be
considered valuable members of the community - they report bugs, some fix
problems, etc.  It generally improves the software (which is good for
everyone).  However, if you are just going to whine every time you have a
small problem, I see it as no loss for you to leave the list - if you
haven't got the patience to set the system up yourself you do not belong
here and should go buy a Tivo.  I for one would not want a Tivo - I chose
Myth over any commercial system because it has a rapidly evolving
featureset and I can fix bugs and improve it myself rather than waiting
for some large corporation to fix the bugs after about 3 years if I'm
lucky.

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/