[mythtv-users] Myth 0.14 - Version 1.0??

Gert van der Knokke gertk at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 8 17:44:20 EST 2004

Just my 2 cents worth of info...

I'v been using MythTV since 0.12 (starting with KnoppMyth) and now I've
upgraded via 0.13 to 0.14 on my home system.

Started with an Asus Pundit as a combo backend/frontend system I've
found that MythTV locked up sporadically, especially when watching live TV.
(I suspected a race condition between diskaccess from LiveTV and maybe
swapspace, cleanup from the backend etc.)

Now I have split up the back and frontend and added a second frontend
machine (Intel Dot.station).

The Pundit and Dot.station are still running KnoppMyth albeit with 0.14
updates/reinstalls

The Backend is a dual PIII-550 with Fedora Core (thanks Jarod!) and
MythTV 0.14 and some massive diskspace holding music and video files.
This seems to be rock solid now, recording happily away from a simple
Mentor (bttv) TV card (soon to be assisted by a PVR250 and a WinTV-Sat
card). This machine is up 24 hours a day.

Only problem still is the xmltv EPG updates here in Holland but this is
hardly a MythTV problem.

I was amazed that after installing 0.14 the EPG did work again, (as did
the Video IMDB system) and now I can choose TV programs to record and it
get's done. The Frontend machines behave much more stable now. Hours and
hours of LiveTV viewing is no problem as is playing music, video etc.

Things I don't quite understand:

Why is there 'native' lirc support in MythTV?
Because when activated I can't control mplayer with the remote anymore
after I selected a movie from the list.
So I still need irxevent file just to control mplayer ?

My solution for 'global' volume control:
On both Frontends I removed the volume control for MythTV (native and
through irxevent) and set it up so irexec is used instead (controlling
the hardware master output directly with aumix), this way I always can
control volume and mute functions independant of what part of
MythTV/Music/Video is playing and so I don't need seperate control
buttons for mplayer and mythtv.

Are the settings for the different frontends mixed in the database or
are they on a per frontendsystem basis ? I managed several times to mess
up the database (video and music) by 'managing' them from different
frontends.

Why isn't the audio and videodata in MythMusic/MythVideo streamed to the
frontends? Now I have to mount the different NFS shares to exactly the
same mountpoints on the different frontends.
I assume LiveTV and its recordings are already streamed to the frontends ?

Anyhow I guess 1.0 is still some months away but please please keep up
the good work :-)

My programming skills aren't up to your level but I can find my way
around a Linux system and already put in quite a few hours setting up my
'system'.

Gert