[mythtv-users] Help me size next cpu, Athlon 2800+ MP enough for high quality/filters?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Feb 8 19:14:43 EST 2004

On Feb 8, 2004, at 08:02, papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu wrote:

> Funny you should mention the dual athlon, though.  I *just* put
> together my new system yesterday... Tyan2466-4M 760MPX dual athlon XP
> 2400+.
> I did the L5 bridge hack and it came up as an MP.  If this board is the
> "stable" one though, I don't think I'd like to see the "unstable" one.
> Although once running it's fine, it's get a really twitchy BIOS
> (stupid Phoenix
> POS), mysterious bootup delays with ECC memory, and I'm unable to use
> the last
> PCI slot with any of my cards, as it apparently interferes with the
> onboard
> NIC.  Still resolving issues (obviously), but I guess once the bugs
> are worked
> it it should be OK.

Huh. Well, I have two dual Athlon systems, one on a Tyan Thunder K7
board and one on a Tyan Tiger MPX board, both are rock-solid (and both
running a strain of Red Hat -- one Fedora Core, one Red Hat Enterprise
Linux). One of them doesn't like USB keyboards at all (the Tiger), but
outside of that, both run just fine. I'm using nothing but ECC RAM in
both, and each one runs a pair of actual Athlon MP 2000+ processors
(I'm eying dual 2800s for one of them though... ;-).

I seem to recall one of them having some issues before updating the
BIOS, but outside of that, no problems.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...