[mythtv-users] Lirc and Mythtv (Hauppauge Gray Remote)

Aleaxander alex at carbonated.com
Mon Feb 9 02:12:06 EST 2004

I'm somewhat of a newbie to Linux, so I beg you to bare with me as I
describe the problem that I have run into because I've really been
trying to figure this out on my own.  After many google searches, many
mythtv-users searches, going back a few months on the lirc mailing lists
archives (is there a searchable archive somewhere?) and digging around
through lirc related directories on my system, I have not been able to
figure out what is wrong and why my remote has stopped working.

I'm running Fedora Core 1, MythTV .13 and Lirc 0.7.0.  I installed
MythTV and lirc using Jarod's guide a few weeks ago.  Haven't even
considered upgrading to .14 until I figure out what is currently wrong.
  Everything was running fine until I setup my 2nd system (the one that
my wife does not use) to run as a MythTv slave frontend and mounted
three folders from the MythTV backend server using NFS.  Since then,
when I do:

$ mythfrontend &

I get these errors:

mythtv: could not connect to socket
mythtv: Connection refused
Failed to create lirc socket for mythtv

(note: I have this machine setup to automatically start the mythtv
backend as a slave and frontend via the chkconfig command as described
in Jarod's guide, so I wonder if this error is because I've exited the
frontend once and tried to run it again?)

Then, when I look at lircd under the Service Configuration (yes, I know
I should be able to figure out a better way to get the state of lircd
than using a GUI application, but I haven't found anything yet, and
given I'm still a newbie), it gives this status:

lircd dead but subsys locked

I can restart lircd, but the remote won't work on the frontend, and if I
exit and restart the frontend, the status will change to the same message.

Here is the part that I don't understand (okay, maybe it is one of many
things I haven't figured out yet...) and I'm not totally sure that it is
the problem, but it seems suspicious.  This is the second time that I've
had lirc fail on a system after setting up NFS to share directories
between systems.  The first time was after I had the master backend
server with a frontend setup configured and running fine in the living
room (wife's primary machine) with a slave backend and frontend running
in the bedroom.  After I setup the master backend with NFS to share the
tv and movie directories with the slave backend and frontend the remotes
stopped working on both systems.  I was able to restart lircd on the
slave frontend and it worked, but no luck on the frontend on the master
backend machine (wife didn't like this).  After working on it for about
a week in my spare time (and teaching my wife how to use the keyboard to
control Myth), I gave up and reinstalled everything from scratch) so
that the remote was working again on both systems.  Then, very
carefully, I tried NFS again.  This time, I'm having no problems with
the remote on the master server's frontend (thank god; as far as my wife
is concerned, everything is working fine), but the slave frontend's
remote will not work, even though this is the same system that I was
able to get working by restarting lircd before (by the way, everything
works fine on the slave backend and frontend using the keyboard, and the
remote was working fine on this system before I setup NFS, or more
exactly, edited my /etc/fstab to auto-mount some of the directories on
the master backend machine).

I have the feeling that I'm not giving enough information in this
problem, so perhaps someone can recommend a way for me to get more debug
information out of lirc that will help in identifying what is wrong?  I
don't seem to have anything lirc related under /var/log/.

If anyone can give any suggestions on what to try next, I'd very much
appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Alex Offermann