[mythtv-users] Myth 0.14 - Version 1.0??

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Feb 9 09:01:36 EST 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 steve at nexusuk.org wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu wrote:
>
> > 	This is not the case.  Some cards do not have the hardware to do it
> > (perhaps nvidia... not sure if it's hardware or driver).  Often it's the
>
> The nVidia cards do support interlaced modes - there is a hack for the
> opensource driver that lets you set them.  Unfortunately the opensource
> driver is slow, doesn't provide the /dev/nvidia0 device, and the closed
> source drivers don't support interlacing (and are closed so we can't add
> support ourselves).  Unfortunately I can't see nVidia bothering to add
> interlace support because there is almost no demand for it (even though
> AFAIK all they need to do is set a bit in a register).

	Nifty!  I didn't know there was such a hack.  I quick google for it
didn't reveal any promising links... where?

> > ATI Rage128 for my tvout-via-interlaced-vga, since it's new enough to
> > have Xv, but can still do interlaced.
>
> Unfortunately on a non-NV card you can't do vsync,

	This requires GL as the output driver then, no?  I can't find a
reference to vsync in the Xv docs, but it's in the NVIDIA driver readme for
__GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK.

so tearing is a problem

	In my case (real interlaced @30 Hz), this would be a really good thing.

> How much CPU does your X use up when playing video BTW?

	I don't think it's ridiculous... I'll check tonight.

-Cory
* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*
* 	- teach what you do.						*