[mythtv-users] Myth 0.14 - Version 1.0??

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Feb 9 14:05:50 EST 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu wrote:
>
> >>I guess I should have been clearer... The ACCELERATED DRIVERS don't
> >>support interlaced output.  I figured it went without saying that 1) X
> >>supports interlaced output and 2) Many video card chipsets support
> >>interlaced output.
> >>

> >	Since not all video cards are NVIDIA (something which they're trying
> >hard to remedy), I don't know that I'd accept that statement either.  What is
> >true is that the *NVidia binary drivers* do not support interlaced output.  A
> >number of other card/driver combinations do.  Also remember that "accelerated"
> >means different things.  Strictly speaking, the 'nv' open-source driver is
> >"accelerated" since it doesn't require the CPU to individually put each byte
> >into the card's memory.  It's not as fast as the 'nvidia' binary driver, nor
> >does it support GL, etc, but it's still accelerated.
> >

> Oh for crying out loud you're making a religious issue out of a simple
> statement.  If there is a card with video drivers that support all
> features of the card, and interlaced TV out then name it.  After
> searching the web for weeks, the ONLY card that I've seen that has
> drivers available for all it's features PLUS interlaced TV out the the
> Matrox G400, which is no longer available except as a bargain bin or
> closeout item.

	It was not intended to be a religious statement, but rather just a
correction to one that could be misinterpretted by others reading the post.
>From the man page:

DESCRIPTION
       nv  is  an  XFree86 driver for NVIDIA video cards.  The driver supports
       full 2D acceleration and...

As long as I'm clarifying things, for any card with composite and/or s-vid
tvout, "TV-Out" = "Interlaced TV-Out."  The standard for TV *is* interlaced.

Cheers,
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*