[mythtv-users] Ultimate Mythtv vid card, part II

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Mon Feb 9 18:44:16 EST 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu wrote:

> good flicker-full  output for the best video.  I, personally, would rather
> fudge the UI a bit (anti-aliased multi-line horizonal lines, for one) so it
> looks acceptable without flicker reduction.

Since I plug my TV directly into the VGA connector on my PC I have
absolutely no image processing to reduce flicker, etc.  Yeah there are a
few bits of the frontend that flicker, and if I was selling it as a
commercial product I'd want to fix that but for my personal use it's not
enough of a problem for me to care about.  You're absolutely right though
that the way to fix this is to to a bit of antialiasing between vertically
adjacent pixels.  One thing I'd love to see (and maybe I'll get around to
writing it myself eventually) is a "deinterlace on pause" feature so when
I pause a video (or play it in slow-mo) it deinterlaces the frames so it
doesn't flicker between the two fields.

> 	You should be able to code up a modeline for anything you want (save
> the interlace).  It's not a direct link to the output on the TV, but it'll let
> you overscan, etc.

Certainly with the binary drivers when you're running with the TV output
turned on, setting anything other than a "standard" mode results in X
exiting with "Not a TV mode" or words to that effect.

> MPEG (YUV) -> VGA (RGB) -> YUV (transcoder to TV) -> RGB (guns on TV).

I've never understood what the point is in doing YUV over separate cables
- in composite video then it all makes sense because you transmit the
luminosity (Y) at high resolution and the colour (UV) at low res.  It
saves bandwidth and isn't a problem because your eyes are pretty
insensitive to colour.  But if you have separate cables for each component
then you're transmitting all 3 at the same resolution so I can't see any
advantage over just using plain RGB...

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/