[mythtv-users] PUNDIT High-CPU watching TV
paul.volkaerts at lineone.net
Mon Feb 9 19:26:13 EST 2004
The CPU figures I get watching a playback are roughly;
With no filters : 50% XFree86, 15% mythfrontend (total 65%)
With kerneldeint : 50% XFree86, 25% mythfrontend (total 75%)
With kerneldeint + denoise3d : 50% XFree86, 50% mythfrontend (total 100%)
Recording has almost no CPU.
If this is what other people get using a PUNDIT then fine, I just want to
know I have got it configured as good as I can get; and I have Xv configured
If I boot the same machine into Windows2K and run the software package that
comes with the Nebula DVB card, I get excellent picture quality watching
Live TV at about 25% CPU utilisation --- I guess this uses the MPEG2 decoder
in the SIS chipset.
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org]On Behalf Of Will Dormann
Sent: 09 February 2004 18:50
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] PUNDIT High-CPU watching TV
At 05:20 PM 2/9/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>I have an ASUS Pundit with an Intel 2.6G CPU and 512M RAM, so pretty good
>performance; and a Nebula (BT8x8) DVB card running backend & frontend on
>the same machine.
>When I watch live TV, my CPU is close to 100% with the two filters I need
>for good quality (kerneldeint and denoise3d). If I take off denoise3d it
>drops to around 75%, so still v high. "top" shows X taking about 50% CPU.
Those filters add a significant CPU load. With my Celeron 2.0Ghz Pundit I
cannot use both together. I have a PVR-250, so the latter isn't
>The Pundit uses a SiS 315 graphics chip which says it has MPEG2 Video
>(http://www.sis.com/products/graphics/315.htm) so has anyone got this
Not sure if the winischhofer drivers have any MPEG2-specific acceleration
More information about the mythtv-users