[mythtv-users] LiveTV works great, recordings are jerky

Helge Grimm helgegrimm at abitours.net
Mon Feb 9 22:04:31 EST 2004

I have a strange problem with my mythtv installation. LiveTV works
great - everything is perfectly smooth, but when I try to play back
recordings it starts skipping immediately ("prebuffering pause" every
second). The recorded files are ok, mplayer plays them flawlessly. My
configuration:

VIA M10000N/C3-2/512MB RAM
WinTV PVR-250
2.4.24 kernel
Myth 0.14 compiled with ALSA support
120GB Samsung IDE, 5400 RPM, transfer rate of > 50MB/s (ReiserFS, DMA
on).

I use the CLE266 Hardware MPEG decoder and my CPU usage is always < 30%
while watching LiveTV or recordings (checked with top via ssh)
My mythconverge database seems to be ok (mysqlcheck reports no problems)
I have tried using the "extra audio buffering" and "jitter reduction"
options - they don't help.
Xv is running (24 bit depth)
nice -10 mythfrontend didn't help either.

Again, LiveTV works perfectly (not one single "prebuffering pause"),
although the computer records and plays at the same time. Playback of
any recording is extremely choppy.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Helge