[mythtv-users] How does MythTV Networking work?

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Tue Feb 10 02:05:02 EST 2004

On Monday 09 February 2004 19:39, Scott Nicholson wrote:
> Re: the backend machine.
>
> I assume since I'm not using this to actually watch anything I won't need
> to worry about the video card as much as I might otherwise need to.

If you won't be watching video on the backend machine, the video card won't
matter, true.

> I'll probably use Hauppauge PVR-250s for the capture. I can use multiple
> cards in the same machine with no problems, right? And with two (or more)
> 250s I can have two (or more) frontends watching live TV with different
> channels at the same time?

Two or more PVR-250's is perfectly possible, assuming your motherboard
supports enough slots. I recommend using only busmastering-capable slots.

> If I'm using the PVR-250s CPU isn't a major issue, right? So a decent
> Athlon or even a Duron 900 would probably be okay? (I'll be encoding to
> MPEG2, of course).

CPU is not a _major_ issue for a backend-only machine using PVR-250's, but
it's not a non-issue either. I'd guess that a Duron 900 with more than two
cards may be ok for backend-only, but I don't have any firsthand data for
that. I run a 1.4GHz Athlon box with two cards, and it hits under 30% CPU
when recording on both cards without playing anything in the frontend.

> I assume there aren't any problems using an external fileserver for
> storage? How many video streams will I be able to record at once using an
> external NFS mount over 100MBit Ethernet?

That's simple math. I can get 8 to 10 MB/s via NFS with no other traffic and
minimal disk activity on my server. If you are running a full duplex switched
network it's a lot easier. (With half-duplex, multiple streams over NFS
collide the heck out of each other and performance goes down the tubes in my
experience.)

So I can push about 30GB/hour across my full duplex switched 100baseTX network
in practical experience. I'm using rather modest capture bitrates
(3500/5000), which tends to come out to 1.7GB/hour. Even if I were to use
higher bitrates and 3 cards I'd be well below the capacity of my network.

- -James Paul