[mythtv-users] Spilt Myth mailing list?

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Tue Feb 10 14:52:14 EST 2004

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 08:52, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Not to stir the pot, but if a forum provides all the features to all the
> people (depart from the "I won't use it" part for a second).  And email
> provides all the features to only some of the people (because of software
> or whatever).  Then other than disliking forums, doesn't it make sense to
> provide a service that provides all the features to all the people?

That's a very big "if". A forum simply does not provide all the features to
all of the people. Hence the periodic appearance of this topic. ;)

> You will have people on both sides who either don't like forums or don't
> like email lists but one provides guaranteed compatibility to all users
> regardless of their personal setup and one doesn't.

Sigh. Neither one provides any more guaranteed compatibility than the other.
Some people are in a better situation to use a web browser, others are better
suited to email. Personally, it would hate to try to keep up with the volume
of this list on a web forum, it's monumentally faster to do in my threaded
email client. And no need to archive more than I want, that's what gossamer
is for.

I don't begrudge those who prefer forums, but please don't assume that forums
have more utility that email for everybody. :)