[mythtv-users] Re: Lirc and Mythtv (Hauppauge Gray Remote)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Feb 12 02:46:17 EST 2004

On Feb 11, 2004, at 22:18, Aleaxander wrote:

> Simon at the Threshold wrote:
>
>> Afriad it's a v.busy mailing list..
>> Your problem sounds like lircd isn't configured correctly, infact
>> what your describing sounds exactly like what happens if you attempt
>> to run it up without its inital configuration tweaks.
>> I suggest you do back to Jarod's installtion instuctions and retry
>> again, lirc is'nt a no-brainer install but the learning curve isn't
>> very steep.  Forget about using mythtv to test lirc and switch over
>> to using the irw (also in Jarod's guide) utility its a good
>> confidence test.
>> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#lirc
>> Unfortunatly I've ditched lirc on my fedora system since I got my ATI
>> wireless remote (acts as a keyboard extension).
>> Otherwise I'd be happy to offer assistance if you where to post the
>> logs and errors that are generated by Jarod's installtion/confidance
>> tests. (modprobe /sbin/service lircd start etc.).
>> Regards
>> Simon
>
> First of all, thank you very much for replying.  I have gone back and
> followed Jarod's guide for setting up Lirc and unfortunately nothing
> happens when I run /usr/bin/irw.  It just returns to the $ prompt :(
>
> Jarod's guide refered me to /var/log/lircd to check for any problems.
> However, that file does not exist on the system, which makes me a bit
> suspicious.  But when I check the system that lirc is still working
> on, there is no /var/log/lircd there either.  Weird.

Ah, that would be an error on my part. It should be telling you to look
in /var/log/messages like it does in the bttv-lirc section. Whoops. :-\

> Like I said in my original mail, Lirc was working until I setup NFS on
> the backend server and mounted the video and tv directories there on
> this machine.  Do you think this could have something to do with my
> problem?

It *shouldn't*, but...

> If you have any other suggestions for approaches to debugging this
> problem I would, again, very much appreciate it.

See if there's anything in /var/log/messages that is telling (cat
/var/log/messages |grep lirc).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...