[mythtv-users] Re: Lirc and Mythtv (Hauppauge Gray Remote)

mythgnomer at rowelab.com mythgnomer at rowelab.com
Thu Feb 12 08:54:37 EST 2004

/var/log/lircd doesn't get created reliably unless you're using the init
script.. (ie, If you're launching lircd manually, or from /etc/rc.local.)

Irw just not running usually means that lircd isn't running (ps -aux | grep
lirc before running irw) or check /dev/lirc (should not be a link to
/dev/ttySx). If lircd is running, check for /dev/lircd.

Now, I've had some of the same problems after doing something like apt-get
install mplayer - because that would also install liblirc 0.6.6.. So if none
of the above works, uninstall lirc, updatedb, locate lirc and see what cruft
is left behind.. If you have something like liblirc_client.so left over,
whack it and install again.

I'd suggest installing from source, with the 0.7.0pre2 CVS snapshot
(http://lirc.sourceforge.net/software/snapshots/lirc-0.7.0pre2.tar.bz2 -
it's pretty easy to install this one from source.)

-Scott Rowe