[mythtv-users] System Hangs

Simon at the Threshold dweller at the-threshold.org
Fri Feb 13 04:45:02 EST 2004

Hi John,

I had a system freeze up on my Athlon XP-2400/Abit KV7 setup, took me a
long while to work though all of the possible hardware/software options.
Ended up fixing it with a firmware upgrade to the motherboard.

Still here's a good way of testing your primary hardware...

Monitor your machines temp and check that is working within spec, a CPU
overheating is a classic way for it to hang. lm_sensors is the way to
monitor using the onboard sensors). If not you can do it by hand
(accualy finger) but just make sure before you touch anything on the
motherboard your grounded by touching the powersupply case.  Gently
touching the CPU cooler, memory and the southbridge chip should be warn
but not accualy hot at idle or under load.

http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/

Then download and run the correct cpuburn test suite for your CPU and
check the temp's again.  My athlon idles at PWM(55C) and CPU(47) at top
whack it stabilises out at PWM(65C) and CPU(55C). The operating specs
say the safe level is below PWM(85C) and CPU(65C) which sounds high
enough to boil water IMHO but what the hell if it works.  If your
tempreture continues to rise (doesn't level out) you have a problem
(fans, CPU cooler placement etc.).

http://users.ev1.net/%7Eredelm/

Download memtest86 and run it (Full test takes 4/5 hours) on your
machine this will prove your memory is good.

http://www.memtest86.com

At this point if everything has worked you've should have far confidence
that the CPU and MEMORY are ok. After this point you'd have to point the
finger at harder to track down problems. But for the time being try the
obvious ones noted above.

Simon

--
The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.
		-- Albert Einstein