[mythtv-users] RE: Semi-Off Topic? - RH9 Kernel woes...any way tomakeFC1 work?

Gabe Knuth me at gabeknuth.com
Fri Feb 13 12:29:41 EST 2004

Ok, I'll try that stuff.  Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Mark Crutch
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 11:07 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: [mythtv-users] RE: Semi-Off Topic? - RH9 Kernel woes...any way
tomakeFC1 work?

> I have a Via EPIA M10k mobo, and their driver support limits me to RedHat
8 & 9, Mandrake 9.1,
> and Suse 8.1.  I tried to load FC1 at first, found out that it wasn't
supported, so I backed
> off to RH9.  I've been having problems getting software since my kernel is
version 2.4.20-8,
> rather than (what appears to be) the common 2.4.20-28.
>
> Following Jarod's HowTo, I've been able to get most things installed, but
two things are
> plaguing me - lirc and ivtv.  Both of these seem to need kernel drivers,
and I can't figure
> out what I need to do to a) get them & b) get them installed.  I can't do
the apt-get as
> described in the HowTo because there are no packages for my kernel.
>
> So, my questions are: 1) Is it possible to make the RH9 video and audio
drivers from Via
> work in FC1 without the source?  They have a semi-closed source policy,
and I doubt I
> can get my hands on it.

Well, from my earlier post about test_ioctl and mythtvsetup, it should be
clear that I'm following a similar route, but haven't yet got it all
working. However I have managed to get a little further that you have, so
here are my suggestions:-

For compiling ivtv, got to the ivtv FAQ at
http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-view_faq.php?faqId=1 and scroll down to "How do
I compile the driver?". Follow Option 1. After that, you can pick up with
the modprobes and test_ioctl stuff from Jarod's guide and/or from the ivtv
FAQ (a bit further down, under "I compiled the driver, now what?"). Be
prepared to play around with the various parameters until you get something
that works.

lirc is okay provided you get the 0.7.0pre2 release. The 0.6.6 release won't
work for the PVR. Run setup.sh and select "TV Cards=>Hauppage TV Card".
You'll need to modprobe ivtv before you modprobe lirc_dev and lirc_i2c, but
then running lircd followed by irw should show you some received signals
(also following Jarod's guide for the locations of the other files lirc
needs).

I hope that helps - but remember that I don't yet have a fully working
system myself, so it's possible that the above is wrong, and potentially the
cause of my other problems.

Mark