[mythtv-users] Live TV is smooth, recorded shows jerky - solved.

Larry Matter mythtv2 at matter.net
Sat Feb 14 00:17:21 EST 2004

I have seen a few postings on this list where watching live TV is very
smooth, but recorded shows exhibit stuttering with prebuffering pauses.

I also had this behavior and it was puzzled by it.  There's not much
difference between watching Live TV and watching a recorded program.

Long story short, I accidently solved it when, for other reasons, I
dropped and recreated the mythtv schema *and* deleted all my .nuv files.
I'm pretty sure it was the latter that solved it.

I don't understand the inner workings of ext3 (the filesystem used on my
mythtv disk); I'm not sure why streaming from the ring buffer was fine but
streaming from these 2.2 gig files was problematic.  But cleaning up the
disk (I did not reformat it) did the trick.

I just wanted to mention this in case others are still having the problem,
perhaps we can get to the root cause.

Now I can happily stream 720x480/6k shows to 3 frontends simultaneously
with no stuttering.  Looking forward to the increased WAF.

Larry