[mythtv-users] System Hangs

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Sat Feb 14 11:49:27 EST 2004

John Dycus wrote:

> David Brieck Jr. wrote:
>
>> Kenneth Aafløy wrote:

>>> Have you tried a vanilla kernel vs the gentoo-sources?
>>>

>> I'll second that. I'm using the Gentoo sources, but I compiled the
>> kernel with very few if any unnecessary options. If there is
>> something in the Gentoo patched kernel sources that is causing your
>> problems you either need to try vanilla sources or get rid of any
>> extra junk in your kernel you don't need.
>>
>> BTW, I'm running 2.4.20-xfs-r3 without any problems.
>

> Thanks, those are both really good suggestions.  I'll try the vanilla
> kernel first over the weekend, and then run the hardware tests if it
> still hangs.  I'll be sure to report back what I find, and what
> hopefully fixes it...

Another thing to check is your firmware version.  I had major stability
issues with prolonged use of my tuner, for TV or recording.  Once I
switched to the latest firmware all the problems went away.  I think it
really depends on what revision your capture card is to determine which
firmware is the most stable for you.