[mythtv-users] Question on Backend and frontend functionality

alanb at starband.net alanb at starband.net
Sun Feb 15 23:46:32 EST 2004

The frontend is a client that allows you as the user to interact with the
backend that acts as a server. The frontend contains the main GUI or
presentation layer. This is the framework for all of the GUI pieces that
supports the access that you as a user has. It includes GUI portion of the
plug-ins that give the different features like TV, Music, Weather, etc.

The backend is made up of the database and the framework to manage the
recording, showing, playing, etc. that the various MythTV plug-ins allow
you to do. The database holds information like the program schedule and
other attributes that allow MythTV to do what it does.

This of course is a very simplistic view of a rather complex appication.