[mythtv-users] mythbackend crashes / watchdog

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Mon Feb 16 07:44:42 EST 2004

Hi all,

Has anyone developed a script which would start mythbackend and
automatically restart it when it crashes? And keeps the coredumps?

It crashed part way through a big recording schedule I had set up for
tonight. Not too impressed. I'm running the CVS code. It's recorded okay
before. It didn't seem to be doing anything in particular, just
recording.

Certain MPEG data causes the MPEG decoder to crash. Usually that's the
frontend, but the same code runs to post-process recordings (for ad
skipping) and that will crash the whole backend. The ad scanning should
be done in a separate process so that it can't crash the backend.

High definition digital TV causes no end of confusion to the myth MPEG
decoder and will usually crash the decoder within minutes. :-(

Hamish