[mythtv-users] UK freeview EPG question

Steve Davies steve at one47.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 17:10:25 EST 2004

John Pullan wrote:

> I'm afraid the short answer is no.
>
> AFAIK Freeview has two current EPG being transmitted and one that is in
> testing
>
> Teletext : Today/Tomorrow
> 4TvInteractive : apparently a full 7 day guide
> and the actual Freeview EPG which is meant to be in testing in Wales.

And hopefully coming to all of us soon... :-)

> IMO the Freeview EPG is the way to go as it's the one based on the DVB
> spec and therefore should work in other countries as well. The other two
> I would guess could be used but we'd have to write parse code to get the
> information out of the data.

Agreed.

> I'm currently playing around with some code to update the DB with "Now
> Next" which should be nearly the same code as what's required for the
> full EPG, but obviously only for one programs worth into the future.

The big trick is to not hit the database when not needed eh? Another
consideration - The title/subtitle/description taken off-air might not match
with mythfilldatabase's title/subtitle/description data, therefore, if
updating a record, all other matching title/subtitle/description records
should be updated to match to prevent the scheduler getting too confused,
particulrly if we are only using now/next data.

If you need a tester for this, or help with the above, I started to look at
doing this myself a while back, and will be willing to test and provide
code/feedback if that helps.

> Cheers

Regards,
Steve
Steve Davies                   steve at one47.co.uk

PGP Fingerprints:
DH/DSS : 5D85 8164 91D7 E9CC 4F80  842B AB86 93D9 8938 7612
RSA    :      4E2E E60F 3D76 9E7E  70F9 901B 70FA 56C8
RSA4096: 02BE 5C0E EFA2 E1E4 EA89  C9CC 1E4F F654 3BC7 B65E