[mythtv-users] Power Heat Noise

Tor Hovland tor at nidaros.homedns.org
Tue Feb 17 01:14:37 EST 2004

> The Athlon XP 1800+ Thoroughbred is, more or less, the coolest running
> CPU in the entire AMD line and it has more than enough power to run a
> spiffy Myth box.

The Thorton (model 10 with 256K L2 Cache) is even cooler than the
Thoroughbred (model 8). I'll repeat something I wrote in a different thread:

> Actually, the most efficient of reasonably recent AMD/Intel desktop
> processors is the AMD XP with Thorton core (Model 10 with 256K L2 Cache).
> The XP2000+ (1667 MHz) runs at 47,4 W, while the slowest Celeron at 400
MHz
> bus, the Celeron 1.70 Ghz, runs at 63,5 W and even the slowest Pentium 4,
> the 1.30 GHz, runs at 48,9 W.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/27375.pdf

A Thoroughbred XP 2000+ runs at 54,7 W, considerably more than the Thorton.
However, if you can get hold of a Thoroughbred XP1700+, it only requires
44,9 W.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25175.pdf