[mythtv-users] pcHDTV w/ MythTV

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Tue Feb 17 08:35:16 EST 2004

>> I saw in one of the other threads about needing a P 3g-HT machine to
>> do this on? Is this true?
>

> With hardware assistance (nVidia XvMC), you can get by with less (like
> 2.4GHz, IIRC), but the quality is somewhat diminished. Otherwise, yes,
> 3.0GHz. :-\

FWIW, I think more recent ffmpeg versions have done some performance
work in this area.  It also helps significantly to add a '-mpentium4' to
the compiler flags in the libavcodec directory (assuming you have a P4
:-) ).  My P4 2.8 GHz (w/ HT) is ticking along at 40-60% CPU decoding &
displaying 1080i now, with normal Xv (not even XvMC).

> At the moment, nVidia's Linux drivers don't support interlaced modes, so
> no 1920x1080i. Supposedly, the next release, due by the end of March,
> will feature interlaced mode support.

I'll believe it when I see it, but this would be nice.  I actually run
at 1920x540, and have inserted relevant calls to 'xrandr' to switch back
to 960x540 for the GUI.  If I could think of a clean, general way to do
this, I'd submit a patch.

>>> What exactly do you mean by "that kind of quality"? The quality of the
>>> video captured by a pcHDTV card BLOWS AWAY the video captured by a
>>> PVR-250. If you mean quality as far as stability, it isn't quite as
>>> good, but steadily improving.
>>

>> That is kind of a bad question - what I meant was the smoothness of
>> the 250, it has the encoder on baord, so its not a capture card - does the pcHDTV
>> stream mpeg2 or capture like a normal tv card? It seems that from some
>> of the responces I've seen and on the pcHDTV site, it streams mpeg2 like the 250
>> does...

If by 'smoothness' you mean smoothness of motion, no, we're not there
yet.  This issue is most noticeable when the image pans -- the frame
cadence is not even enough to appear smooth.  I believe this problem can
be tuned out of the various video sync methods.  I am making slow
progress here, but haven't had a lot of time recently.

-Doug