[mythtv-users] PVR350: do ve have specifications? Is there an NDA?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 17 09:16:05 EST 2004

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 08:17, Franco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd be curious to know whether hauppauge released the full
> specifications of the PVR350 to the Linux community
> (in this case, are they public or is there an NDA?),
> or is the driver development tied to guessing and
> reverse engineering.
>
> In other words, is the implementation of the missing functionalities
> "just" a matter of volunteering and having the time for it,
> or is uncertain and may not be ever completed?

You'd probably be better off asking on the ivtv list, but as I
understand it Hauppauge has been reasonably cooperative... however, one
of the major components (I forget which -- tuner, encoder/decoder) is
somebody else's chip (Conexant, IIRC), and they have not been
forthcoming.  Hauppauge can't release the information because
presumably they signed an NDA with Conexant.  So I think the answer to
your question is that the driver development is, to a certain degree,
guesswork & reverse engineering.

-JAC