[mythtv-users] mythtv not responding when playing movies

John DeLuca johnfdeluca at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 21:29:58 EST 2004

It sounds as if it may be this:

>From Jarod's (most excellent) Guide http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#misc :

MythVideo focus issue-
Yet another problem with MythVideo... When you exit, the remote ceases to function. This is because for some reason, KDE shifts focus to the Kicker, rather than the MythTV window, so your remote presses are trying to execute upon the Kicker, and do nothing. One possible fix is to change to a different window manager, but that's a fair amount of work, and outside the scope of this document. The easy fix is to change KDE's window focus behavior, so that you have focus following the mouse. This is a bit goofy for some people if they're trying to use the system as a normal computer, but works well if you dump the cursor in the middle of the screen, because when MythVideo (mplayer) exits, focus will return to MythTV, and your remote will function. You can change the window focus behavior by opening Control Center (off the Fedora/Red Hat/KDE menu), Navigating to Desktop ?? Window Behavior, and then change the Focus Policy to Focus Follows Mouse, and hit Apply.

mythtv at codepoets.ca wrote:I've been having a problem with mythtv since I installed it.

I *can* play music with no problem. I have a problem when I try to play a
movie. The movies start playing, but then I can't control the video at
all. I can't do anything with mythtv 'till the video stops playing. I've
searched everywhere, but I can't find any reference to a problem like
this.

I try controlling the video with the keyboard and the remote. Anyone have
any ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!